AUGUST GALA QUILT GUILD 2018 NEWSLETTER
- Upcoming Events:
- August Workshop – On August 18, at 9:30, Dana Brue from Southern Stitches in Thomaston, GA, will present a workshop on making a Spicy Spiral Tablerunner. Cost will be $25 and will include a ruler and the pattern. You must have signed up to participate. The pattern uses eight fat quarters. See photo below for instructions on preparing for the workshop. These should be completed prior to the workshop. Please be ready to go at 9:30. Doors open at 9:00.
- August Program will be presented by Dana Brue from Southern Stitches.
- September Workshop – Alberta Powell will teach a workshop to make a Hexagon Centerpiece. You will need the following supplies: ½ yd for the center; ¼ yd each of two different fabrics; ¾ yd for backing and ¾ yd of batting.
- Don’t forget to start getting together items for the guild yard sale in October with 25% of the proceeds going to the guild. Yard sale items are to be quilting and sewing related. More to come on that at future meetings.
- November Workshop – Emily Doane will be teaching using a Color Wheel. Kits will be needed. If you would like to purchase one, cost is $15. These must be paid for by our August meeting. You will also need fabric for background, backing, and binding. Amounts needed will be posted closer to the program.
o There is a new sit and sew opportunity at the PC-Russell County library from 10-4 each Tuesday. Bring your own projects. There are five machines available to be used. Lunch is on your own.
- VERY IMPORTANT: Quilts are needed for the library. If you can bring one small quilt or medium quilt, please bring to any meeting for Linda Walker and she will take them to be hung. Maximum size can be 6 feet by 7 feet.
- President’s Challenge will be to make soft dolls or animals as well as a doll-sized quilt to be given to boys and girls from one to six years old. Quilts should be 24×24. You may use a pattern of your choice or the0-4 re will be patterns available for you to use.
- Don’t forget to bring your June BOM to the August meeting. New blocks will be available in August as well.
- We will have a committee to pursue having a national teacher at the guild. Joanna Pearson, Linda Jones, Linda Walker, and Audrey Bergeron are the members. Please give them any suggestions and ideas. The plan is to employ a local teacher for 2019 and look into a national teacher for 2020.
- Charity Quilts: “Teal Magnolias” for women with reproductive cancers. Bring 12 ½ in blocks in teal colors. Use the May BOM star in teal and off-white background. You may bring a block of your choice in teal and off white for a sampler quilt. You can continue to make blocks using any BOM pattern and teal and off-white or cream fabric.
- Remember to park up the hill in front of the church if possible. The parking outside the Fellowship Hall needs to be reserved for those of our members with mobility issues.
- There will be a signup sheet in the next few months for those who would like to participate in a Friendship Quilt. Guidelines will be distributed to those who want to participate. In general, you will make multiple blocks as directed. Then, you can trade blocks with others to make a Friendship Quilt. Number of blocks will depend on participation.
- The Ft Mitchell Quilt Show will be held again in the spring.
- Carol Bradshaw has tickets to raffle a quilt made by Cathy McVay from Kansas Troubles fabrics. All proceeds benefit Ft. Mitchell Historical Society. See Carol for tickets.
- There will be an executive committee meeting on August 18 at 11:45 upstairs in the Kitchenette.
- TOM winners were Audrey Bergeron, Taylor Opel.
Instructions for workshop will be sent via a second email.