Newsletter for May 2022

Dear Guild members and visitors:

Hope this month of May finds you all well and happily quilting away!

Please be aware we have a guild activity BEFORE our scheduled meeting this month.

On Wednesday May 11th, we will meet at the Columbus Museum at 10:45 outside.  At 11:00, our VP Juanita Christian has arranged for us to have a private tour of the current quilt exhibit with Curator Rebecca Bush, who just spoke to us at our April meeting. The tour will last about an hour and then those who want to continue to lunch will go to a nearby/downtown restaurant to be announced and finalized that day.  Please RSVP to Juanita so she can have a head count – her email is jmchristian303@gmail.com, and her cell is 918-207-8555.

Please open all 3 attachments to this email.  One is a calendar of upcoming events that Juanita has written,  the second is the instructions for our morning workshop for our meeting on May 21 – a Zig Zag table runner taught by Cathy Poyner (this is also available on our web page galaquiltguild.com – go to April 16 and scroll all the way to the bottom to find it), and the third attachment is minutes from our April 16th meeting.

For our May meeting:

Please bring your sewing machine and basic sewing supplies and materials for the table runner – charm squares, backing and batting.

Please bring your blocks if you are participating in the Signature Block Exchange.

Please bring 30 squares measuring 2 1/2″ from 3 different patriotic fabrics to share in our exchange.  Or bring more if you can – people are making some wonderful and creative projects from these seasonal square exchanges.

Bring your brown bag lunch if you stay through lunch AND if you are a member of any committee as we will have a Committee/Officer Meeting at noon in the middle room for about a half hour.

We will be following up on a lot of business – we will be planning quilt teachers for this year and next with our Teacher Committee.

We will be voting on the destination of our one-yard bags and jelly-roll quilts (and the quilts need continued production, backing, batting, binding…)

And, we will enjoy a program by Pam Brandt on the history of Barn Quilts.  Alabama has a trail on the web www.alabamabarnquilttrail.org you should check out if you travel anywhere in Alabama.

Hope to see you all later this month!  Please don’t forget to pay your dues to Treasurer Kathryn Shepard if you haven’t already done so.

Linda Walker

President

April 16, 2022 Meeting Newsletter

Dear Guild Members and Interested Others,

We hope to see you all at Pioneer Day this Saturday, April 9, from 9-3 at the Historic Fort Mitchell Site where the Guild is having a quilt display.  Some of you have volunteered to stay with the quilts, and some are working the sales table.  I hope you all get to the other activities and sites – I plan to be there early and all day and do it all!

I remind everyone to renew or start your membership with us.  I am happy to send the newsletter to anyone who is interested, member or not.  And if you are on the email list and no longer wish to be , please let me know and I will remove you – no hard feelings.  I am attaching a membership form so you can do it by mail or bring the form to the next meeting.  The benefits of membership include getting a GALA pin, being included in prize drawings every meeting, and getting a discount on Guild special workshop fees and supply fees.  During our last several meetings we have had a record number of new and returning visitors, and new members!  

Our next Guild meeting is on Saturday April 16th.  The morning workshop will be a sit and sew working on current Guild Projects. (Doors open at 9:30 and I’m there by 9:00 if you want to come early and help set up!)  We have more jelly roll quilt “kits” to be sewn, and turned in quilt tops that need to be pressed, and measured for batting, and have backings cut from fabric we have.  Also we have plenty of fabric to make more one-yard bags.  Those of you who learned how at our last meeting can teach anyone new this time.  We realize attendance may be low since Easter is the next day so we didn’t plan anything more extensive.

In the afternoon we will have Rebecca Bush from the Columbus Museum talk to us about the Museum’s quilt collection.

We will have a meeting at Noon of anyone who holds a Board or Committee position.  This will be held in the middle room, so please bring your bag lunch and a notepad.  We hope to do this more regularly if the world stays calmed down.  We plan to break at 12:40 so we are available to get the afternoon started.  We would appreciate a volunteer to be available to greet any newcomers arriving during that time as our Sunshine/Hospitality people will be at this noon meeting. 

Please remember to move some of your cars if the church lot gets full around lunch time to leave spaces for newcomers and those who need to park close to the door.  You can park in the lot at the intersection of 4th Ave and 16th Street which belongs to Uptown Jewelry and Pawn.  We have their permission.

We thank Toni Shah of the Citizen paper for her excellent write up of our placemat presentation, and for getting us into the paper’s ongoing calendar of events.

Juanita is collecting patterns for sewing machine covers, sewing aprons, and sewing machine “pockets” for underneath your machine.  She would like to use them for morning workshops.  She also wants to do a future workshop making mug rugs.  Patterns can be actual paper patterns she can copy, or website sources.

Those of you participating in signature blocks – please bring them to the April meeting.  Also those of us doing the Row By Row need to bring our quilts to the meeting.  If you cannot come, please contact the person you pass along to, and receive from, to arrange to get the quilts moved along.

When the meeting starts on the 16th, we would like to start with an “Icebreaker” and have everyone present a quick favorite tip on organization in your sewing area, so be thinking of something you can share (or show – if you have a prop).  Speaking of tips – I would like to restart “Tool of the Month” if we have a volunteer to take that on.  That person would present a tool to show everyone and briefly explain every month.  It can be a tool someone in the guild owns, or it can purchased and reimbursed by our treasurer (limit $15 please) and then given away as a prize in a drawing.  Let me know if you can coordinate this.

We need to start a Teacher Search Committee to arrange for an outside teacher to do an all-day workshop in later 2022, and plan also for 2023.  The guild should decide on a budget.  We have over $4000 in the treasury! We pay for the teacher’s travel and lodging and food, and teaching fee.  There are usually fees for kits and/or tools.  We charge guild members a reasonable fee to attend, and if there is room for outside attendees we charge more to them.  We need to determine a workshop location and are always open to your suggestions on inexpensive sites we can use that are conducive to such an event.  A hall with an elevated stage and adequate power supply would be ideal.

Carla has provided a brochure on a great site for a possible Guild Retreat.  We need to discuss this as a Guild and see what the interest is, then establish an organizing Committee to plan it for this year or next.

The VPs are planning an Ice Cream Social for our July meeting since we had such a great Tea last month.  We will get a calendar going of upcoming events since it seems like the world is more predictable now, and we hope that continues.

Please review the attached minutes from our last meeting as there are a lot of important items there. 

Hope to see all of you very soon!

Linda Walker, GALA President

March 2022 Newsletter

Hope we will see you at our next meeting on Saturday, March 19 at Trinity United Methodist Church in Phenix City at 1600 5th Avenue.  (Park downhill on the 4th Avenue side)

Please review the attached minutes from our February meeting.  Also attached is the flyer for Pioneer Day at Fort Mitchell on Saturday April 9 where we will be having a Guild Quilt Display.  Please tell your friends and families about the event and check out Fort Mitchell Historic Site on Facebook.

We had a very nice presentation of our placemats to the CEO of Direct Services Corp which manages Meals on Wheels.  We had press coverage from The Citizen paper in Phenix City and from WTVM news! (see attached photo)

For our meeting on March 19:

Morning workshop starts promptly at 10:00, doors open at 9:30.  (call me if you’re there earlier so I can unlock door for you – usually knocking works unless I’m in back closets 706-662-5319)  We are sewing one yard bags with instruction by our Guild Member Linda Hayes.  We should be able to sew one and possible two in 2 hours.  We are sewing these throughout the year for a charity project.  Bring one yard fabric cuts if you have them, but we also have plenty of fabric in our guild stash to use.  Bring your sewing machine and basic sewing supplies.

At NOON we are having a Tea Party in Honor of National/International Quilting Month of March, and Day of March 19!.  Bring your favorite tea cup and if you’d like to share your favorite tea please bring that too.  We’ll have plenty available and alternate beverages too like cocoa packets, herbal tea, etc.  We will be serving small sandwiches and cookies.  (A fancy hat and white gloves are not required 🙂 )

Please bring 30 squares 2 1/2′ in size of 3 different spring fabrics (or more if you wish) – we are going to lay the piles of squares out on a long table and pick up one of each for our Square Exchange of this season.  A fat quarter yields at least 30 squares – this is a good time to cut up and trade those fabric pieces that have been stuffed in your stash unused. 

Our meeting is at 1:00.   Our program is about Quilts of the Underground Railway presented by our member Carol Bradshaw.

Please bring quilts that you plan to share for our Pioneer Day Display.

Please also bring items that you’ve made to donate for sale by the Guild at Pioneer Day.

Hope to see everyone there !  We have been having really great turnouts with new people every meeting!

Linda Walker

GALA President

GALA Quilt Guild February 19, 2022 Minutes
The workshop in the morning was a Jelly Roll race. Participants worked on making a charity quilt from Jelly roll strips. About 20 people participated in the workshop which was a very good turn out.
The regular meeting started out with all members going up to the sanctuary to view all of the placemats that were made for the meals on wheels program. About 350 placemats were made. These placemats were presented to Amy Bryan, CEO of Direct Services who manages meals on wheels services. The placemats were then packed up and members proceeded downstairs for the regular meeting.
Members are asked to bring in 2 1⁄2” blocks in spring colors. Bring in 30 each of 3 different spring colors to the March meeting. Later in the year there will be a patriotic swap.
We had four visitors including Pat Mistretta, from Columbus, Barbara Cotton, from Dothan, Becky Hooper from Buena Vista and Candy Howard from Gainesville, Georgia. Twenty-nine people attended the meeting. Juanita told about when they did the cutting for the Jelly roll kits. Linda Walker showed some Jelly roll quilts that she had made. The charity that will receive the quilts has not been determined.
There will be another Jelly roll race workshop on August 20. There will be another cutting day on a date to be determined.
The guild determined that they would purchase a roll of batting for charity quilts.
For those interested, there is a group that meets for a sit and sew at the Phoenix City library every Tuesday, Wednesday., and Thursday from 12:00 P. M. to 4:00 P. M.
In April members are asked to bring in signature blocks. The blocks should be 8 1⁄2 “ square of snow or some other light fabric. Two opposite corners should have a darker 5 1⁄2” square attached.
Juanita asked people to complete a survey.
The March meeting will be on national quilt day. Linda Hayes will do a workshop on one yard tote bag.
There will be a tea party at 12:00 noon. A sign up sheet was sent around to sign up for different things to bring. Carol Bradshaw is going to do a program on underground railroad quilts.
In April Rebecca Bush from The Columbus Museum will present a program on how they collect quilts, store and display.
In May there will be a workshop on a zig zag table runner.
There will be a workshop to make a Barn Quilt on the second Saturday in June, June 11. The time and price will be announced later. The workshop will be conducted by Dell McLendon at the pavilion at Fort Mitchell.
Everybody introduced themselves and told where they were from. Members were from as far away as Scotland and Germany and all over the United States as well as many from the Columbus/Phoenix City area.
Pioneer Day was discussed. There will be a table of things to sell and the money will go to the GALA Guild. Carol Bradshaw talked about different things that people can make to donate to sell. Among these was a rag wreath, straw wreath stuffed with 2 1⁄2” squares, mug rugs, napkins, placemats, bowl holders, potato holder, (microwave items need to be 100% cotton), jar openers, scarfs. Various kinds of bags. Members are asked to bring in items by the March meeting. Rebecca Chester will be responsible for pricing and selling items.
Another table will be available for members to sell their own quilts.
Members are asked to bring in quilts for the quilt display at Fort Mitchell. There will be two quilt categories, Christmas quilts and all other quilts. This will not be a judged show but there will be a viewer’s choice for each category. There is a form with two sides that needs to be filled out for each quilt. About 100 quilts are needed for the show. Members are asked to bring these to the March meeting.
Linda talked about a thank you from ALS for $250 donation.
Rebecca Chester talked about the Card Trick block that was made for Quilts of Valor. There was a record number of blocks.
Rebecca talked about the next block of month. This will be a hunter star. One 10” Kona snow and one 10” blue will be needed to make the block.
Quilts of Valor needs to be a minimum of 55” x 65”. The maximum is 72 x 90. The recommended size is 60 x 80.
Name tag drawing was next. To participate in the name tag drawing, you have to have a homemade name tag. Other drawings for sign in were drawn.
Juanita explained about a round robin row by row. Eleven people signed up. As each row is completed they will be exchanged and the next person will add a row. Each row must be either pieced or appliqued. This project starts in March. If someone wants certain fabrics, they can include them with their row.
Everyone enjoyed show and tell.

House Quilt is Good News

Dear GuildAttached are pictures of the “House Quilt” made of blocks by our members.  It has been donated to the Phenix City Library.  Another photo is of a framed dedication on the wall below it stating that it is in honor of First Responders, Government Officials, and Volunteers who were of service to Beauregard and Smiths Station during  March 2019.  As you recall this was the time of the terrible EF-4 tornadoes that took many lives and homes.  There is also a group photo of some of the guild officers and committee members at the library with the Director Michele Kilday on Wednesday November 10th.
Thank you to Juanita for spearheading the efforts to get this quilt made and to Linda Hayes for writing such a beautiful dedication.  Thanks to all of you who made blocks, donated fabric and supported the guild in all of our community projects.
Linda Walker

November Newsletter

Dear GALA Members and Interested Parties:
November Guild Newsletter:

I am pleased to announce that we will resume our monthly Guild Meetings on Saturday November 20th.  The hospitals are much less strained by COVID but please still be very careful.
The morning workshop (door open at 9, workshop at 10) will be making name tags from pre-cut felted wool shapes.  This is a HAND sewing project so you don’t need your machines unless you want to use decorative machine stitches on the wool shapes.  We will also have a lot of embroidery floss and yarn for “writing” your name on your badge.  I will bring scalloped-edge rotary cutters for further embellishing.  We will provide buttons and beads and hot melt glue and pinbacks, along with large eye needles for embroidering.  Please feel free to bring any of the above from your supplies or any other “bling” you can think of – pom poms, little fabric yo-yo’s, ribbon, sequins, applique shapes, whatever!!  And if you have enough to share that would be appreciated.
The afternoon meeting starts at 1 pm, and the program will be 5 of us who did a round-robin last year each doing a mini-demonstration of a technique that we used on a quilt. along with a showing of the quilts.
After the meeting we want to do our 2 1/2″ square exchange of Christmas/winter fabrics.  We will spread out our fabric piles in the middle room and circle around picking up one of each.  Please bring 30 squares each from 3 fabrics.  And please bring any extra batches of 30 squares if you can – since we will likely have visitors and newcomers who wish to participate too. And the more, the merrier.  Perhaps we can have a show-and-tell of what we make from them by next year.  Personally I think I am rustling up about 15 fabrics from my stash, and donations, and Alana’s estate of fabric.
Please DO NOT USE THE DODO email anymore.  I am going to discontinue using it because it is not working right and there is no response from their support so I think it may have been hacked.  I will come up with a Google email Group for us to use similar to the Dodo Email.  
If you wish to communicate to the whole group – you can “reply all” to this email, which is a little clunky.  Or just email me personally at lindawalker511@gmail.com and I will forward to the guild email list which I personally have built into my gmail address book.Or email the guild email box which I also get, and that is galaquiltguild@gmail.com.   That is the one that outsiders use to communicate with us.Please keep making placemats!  I have about 75 in my possession presently from those that have been turned in and hope there are lots more out there.  I printed out some simple fabricGuild labels that I am adhering with Heat N’Bond Ultra.  I have tested a lot of fusible stuff and that one seems to be the best for handling the washer and dryer.  It’s a bit stiff but does the job for a small project like this.  If anyone would like to volunteer to help adhere labels please let me know.  I am hoping we will invite a respresentative from Meals on Wheels to our December meeting for a little presentation.  And we should spread them out over the seats in the church sanctuary for an impressive picture too!
I am having a meeting on Wednesday November 10th from 12:00 to 1:00 at the Phenix City Library for Officers and anyone who has any Committee or other position or job within the Guild.  Please also come if you would like to have a position in the Guild in the future.  You can bring your lunch if you like, but wear masks when outside the meeting room. We will continue meetings like this on a regular basis as we get back into the swing of things.  I realize this is on a weekday so everyone will not be able to make it.   Often we have done these meeting during the lunch hour on Guild days so we can discuss whether we want to keep that arrangement going or do something different.  
Hope to see you all soon!Linda Walker

August news

GALA Guild Newsletter for August 2021

Hello to all in the guild – which has grown by about 6 new members in recent months!

We had a great meeting in July. We continued to work on my challenge of making placemats to donate to Meals on Wheels during our morning workshop. I have spoken to Kim Prescott who is the Director of Operations at their parent organization – Direct Service Corporation. They serve 16 counties. In Muscogee County they have 601 clients!! So that’s my challenge to see if we can make 600 placements. That would mean 30 of us would make 20 each! That’s a crazy number, I know. Just something to try for – we’ll do our best. If anyone needs help with fabric please ask me. We also have 2 boxes of scraps in the hall closet that anyone can use. Linda Jones has a supply of orphan blocks to turn into placemats. The Meals program gives about 50 clients a month a birthday card, so one way they might use the mats is to give them out on birthdays.

We had a sale at the July meeting of our recently deceased member Alana Losonsky’s supplies and items. Her husband very generously donated the proceeds to our guild, which has helped our treasury a great deal. There will more for sale from Alana’s quilter’s estate at our next meeting. You will be able to shop the middle room starting around 11:30 at our next guild meeting day which is Saturday, August 21. Linda Hayes and Frances Thomason have coordinated the sale and done all the work to sort, label, transport, price and sell the items. We, the guild, thank you!

The morning workshop on August 21 will be led by Alberta Powell. She is teaching us how to make a small design board. These are very useful for carrying around cut pieces of fabric, arranging quilt blocks, bringing to your machine, etc. Please buy a piece of coreboard at a store like Walmart or Dollar Tree and cut it to a size you like. Bring enough batting to fit a little beyond the edges and scissors. Also bring 2 ½” binding and a glue gun and glue sticks to attach it. Alberta will bring a few extra boards and glue guns if you don’t have one. Also bring something to use as a dropcloth for your gluing area such a piece of plastic to spread out. No sewing is required. The workshop starts at 10 AM, doors are open at 9:30.

Please remember to park away from the church door after you have dropped off your items. We need to leave a few spaces near the door for those who can’t walk distances. We encourage 5-8 of us to park across the corner (where 4th Ave ends in a “T” intersection with 16th St). There is a very large parking lot that belongs to a pawn shop. The owners have kindly given us parking permission..

The afternoon program will be presented by Tabby Champion on “Learning about our Singer 221-222”. Tabby is a very skilled sewer/seamstress and has a lot of experience in the quilt shop/quilt fabric industry. If you’ve never owned one of these machines I suggest you try using one. They are beautiful, lightweight, and reliable. And just fun and satisfying to sew on.

On Saturday August 14th we have a guild “Field Trip” day. We meet at Sunday Best Quiltworks in Ellerslie at 10 AM and carpool from there to Warm Springs. We plan on shopping til lunch at 12:30 at The Bulloch House, then return for group shopping at Sunday Best. Those who have signed up are Linda Walker, Alberta Powell, Sandy Wager, Carol Bradshaw, Sunny Pedigo, Jane Mills, Cathy Poyner and Frances Thomason. That makes 8 total. Up to 4 will drive to Warm Springs. We have space for 16 so please join us. Please be on time.

The guild now owns a rolling cart we will keep at the church. It is a small red metal cart that will be stored in the back room. Feel free to use it to haul supplies, sewing stuff, etc. It will useful for carrying the snacks and bottled drinks which are stored in the hall cabinet. Remember that anything stored in our areas needs to kept up off the floor if it can be water damaged. The church also has big rolling cart which I couldn’t find last meeting. The custodian, Alvin, thinks it was upstairs and will try to keep it downstairs for us to use.

I will not be at our meeting this month and I thank Alberta who will chair instead. I strongly recommend we all wear masks to the next meeting because of the spread of the Delta variant COVID, especially if we are among the older set or have health conditions. I believe most of us are vaccinated which should make us relatively safer than being out in other public spaces.

I will attach the minutes from our July meeting, and our schedule of upcoming events.

Hope to see everyone soon.

Linda Walker, President

August 4, 2021

July Meeting 2021

GALA Quilters Guild Newsletter

July 9, 2021

Dear Guild Members and Prospective Members and Interested Visitors:

We had our first post-pandemic workshop and meeting back at the Trinity United Methodist Church on June 19th, and had a great turnout!  About 10 people attended the morning workshop presented by Rebecca Chester and her mother Agnes Grimes – they have vast sewing knowledge and experience and tutored us through the making of zippered scissors cases that turned out very well!  We had over 20 people for the afternoon meeting and program, and we are off to a great start.  Vickie Gillespie kindly volunteered to do the minutes which will be attached at the end of this newsletter

As acting secretary, I have now been able to happily delegate portions of those duties to Frances Thomason who has volunteered to record minutes for us now, and to Carol Bradshaw who is keeping up the active roster.  I have been managing the email Dodo group member list and keeping up with a secondary email list of prospective members and interested parties who also wish to keep getting our newsletters.  At the next meeting we should discuss managing our email Dodo list, which will cost $10/year when we go past 50 listings, which could easily happen soon.  In case you are wondering, the advantage of using email Dodo is that we all access the list simply by using that email address; so none of us have to keep an individual GALA email list in our personal computers or email systems or browsers.  I also want to thank Dee Hayes for taking over management of the webpage with Vickie and getting it updated!!  And for Vickie keeping up with our Facebook page.  So now we have a secretarial staff instead of a single person doing all those tasks – thanks, all!

Please join us for our next meeting on Saturday July 17th.  Please join us for the morning workshop to make placemats.  This is our ongoing President’s Challenge for the year 2021 – we will donate them to Meals on Wheels at the end of the year.  Linda Jones is coordinating the workshop.  I will be at the church by 8:30. Come set up your sewing area at 9:30 (or sooner if you’re an early bird too) and Linda Jones will begin formal teaching at 10:00

Patterns – provided by me and Linda Jones, but please also bring your own

Fabric – Linda recommends bring your orphan blocks, some strips, and squares, and scraps.  I am providing yards of a giant block and white polka dot print and some solid color FQs and scraps to go with that. I will also bring yardage of a sort of moss green batik if you have anything that could go with that. You could use jelly roll scraps and do an easy “quilt as you go” – we will show you how to do that if needed.  I am also bringing a lot of charm squares so you can simply do a patchwork of those.

Backing and binding – Linda is bringing yardage for that but please bring any scraps you can use and/or share.

Batting – Linda is bringing pieces approximately 15”x18” and I will bring some pieces also.

Irons – I know some of you like your own personal ironing station.  I don’t know how many of these the church electricity can handle but I think we could have one of two of you in the big room and a couple set up in the middle room.  We will also have 2 or 3 big boards in various places.

Also bring your sewing machine and usual sewing supplies, neutral thread, cutting board for your table, and perhaps notebook or graph paper.  Bring long and  large and small square and or rectangular rulers, will help cut for whichever pattern you use.  I will bring a lot.  Please label your rulers so they don’t get lost if you share.

Linda Hayes will be doing the afternoon program giving us a mini trunk show of scrappy quilts.

We will also do a sign-up for a group trip to Warm Springs on Saturday, August 14, with shopping at Sunday Best Quiltworks in Ellerslie also

Please refer to the Schedule attached to this email, along with a membership form you can print and mail in.  The minutes will also be attached.  

Linda Walker President and Secretarial Staff Coordinator

June 19th 2021

We are back up and running and meeting in person in June.  We meet at Trinity Methodist Church, 1600 5th Ave, Phenix City AL 36867.  Please come to the DOWNHILL side of the church on 4th Ave, and you will see our Guild sign and our cars parked outside the fellowship hall.  There is a ramp for entrance, but please move your vehicle away from the ramp after you unload to allow close parking for those with mobility issues. 

Meetings are the 3rd Saturday of the month.  Doors open at 9:30, workshop at 10.  Lunch on your own, brown bag or take-out or depart and return – but someone is there throughout the day.  Meeting and program and news and prizes and Show and Tell starts at 1 PM.  Hope to see old and new faces there!

The last page is a membership form you can fill out and mail, or take care of at the next meeting you attend.  (We will have these same forms at the meeting.)  Dues to be paid when you can, at a half-year rate of $12.50.
PLEASE LET ME, Linda Walker, or Carol Bradshaw know if you are receiving this newsletter and no longer wish to be included on this email.  No hard feelings.

Linda Walker phone 706-662-5319, email lindawalker511@gmail.com

Carol Bradshaw phone 706-587-0938, email cbrad64@att.net


Hope everyone’s life is getting better and brighter.  And that fabric and quilts and sewing help you along the way.
Linda Walker President and acting Secretary