- Upcoming Events:
- There will be no workshop at the December 16 meeting. The doors will open at 12:00 noon for voting on the President’s Challenge quilts. When you arrive at the meeting, please come upstairs by elevator or stairs to the Sanctuary. You will be given instructions on voting on the quilts as you arrive. There will be prizes given for first and second place for the Judge’s choice and the people’s choice. There will be a participation drawing with each person who pieced and quilted receiving tickets for each quilt contributed.
- We will be having potluck refreshments downstairs at 1:00. Please bring either a sweet or a salty dish to share. You can leave these on the tables in the middle room when you arrive.
- Ft Mitchell History Day will be in April 2018. Linda Walker, Linda Hayes, and Carol Bradshaw will be talking further about the quilting demonstrations and quilt show to be held in conjunction. There will be two categories of quilts to be displayed: New quilts that are less than five years old and Antique quilts that are 50+ years. There is a proposal to hold our meeting at Ft Mitchell that day. Quilts can be dropped off at Sew Much Fun, Sunday Best, Stitch Therapy or Naomi Elliott in the Phenix City Tag Office. New quilts will be judged.
- January Program will be a demonstration of the new Gala Guild website and a presentation on Quilt Police.
- January Workshop will feature making the microwave bowl covers and a foot petal pad. You will need fabric for the microwave bowl covers. One cover can be made from fat quarter. Bring matching thread as well. You will need a fat quarter to make the foot petal pad. Gripper fabric will be provided.
- March Workshop – We will be hosting Nancy Mahoney in March for a trunk show on Friday night and a workshop on Saturday. Cost for the trunk show will be $10 and it will be a covered dish supper. Cost for the class on Saturday will be $50 (with scholarships available—see Linda Walker for more information. The workshop will be a Feathered Star. There aren’t kits available. Attached is a photo as well as a supply list for the workshop. There is a limit of 20 (possibly 22) for the workshop. Both the trunk show and the workshop will be held at Central Christian Church at 7775 Moon Road in Columbus. Lunch will be an additional cost. Sign ups will begin at the December meeting and will need to be finalized by the February 2018 meeting.
- November Workshop: The Double Wedding Ring Quilt taught by Frances Thomason was completed by adding the binding.
- November Program – Ann from Southern Sewing demonstrated quilting using embroidery machines. She displayed embroidery designs made by Sarah Vidler.
- Dues for 2018 may be paid at the December meeting. Attached to this email is the registration form. Dues are $25.
- There will be a committee meeting in the kitchenette upstairs at the January meeting.
- Discussion was held on the names for our quilts. It was decided (I think) that charity quilts will now be known as comfort quilts and quilts given to guild members for a serious illness or death in the family will be compassion quilts.
- Name Tag winner – Pam Brandt and Sign In Winner – Sydney Caldwell and Linnea Grosse.
- Block of the Month – Pineapple Blocks – Rebecca Chester. Tiddlywinks blocks – Mary Randall.
- Guild Members are asked to begin saving 2 ½ inch squares for a game in 2018. More information later.
- Officers for 2018 were presented and voted on at the November meeting. The slate of officers for 2018 are:
- President – Linda Walker
- Vice President for Workshops – Linda Jones
- Vice President for Programs – Mary Johnson VP
- Treasurer – Mary Randall
- Secretary – Sydney Caldwell
- Member at Large – JoAnna Pearson
- Block of the Month Coordinator – Sunny Pedigo
- Quilts are needed for the library. If you can bring one small quilt or medium quilt, please bring to any meeting for Linda Walker and she will take them to be hung.