- Upcoming Events:
- Yard Sale will in October. Please remember to bring your own change and bags. 25% of the proceeds will be donated to the Guild. Set up will begin at 11:30 and the sale will continue after the meeting if needed.
- October’s Workshop – You will need 24 charm squares, ¼ yd to fussy cut charm squares, ¼ yd for binding, and 5/8 yard for batting. Regular sewing supplies and machine are also needed. Workshop will begin promptly at 9:30.
- November Workshop – Taylor Opel will be teaching a workshop on using Emily Doane’s Wheel. Kits will be needed. These had to be ordered by the August meeting. You will also need fabric for background, backing, and binding. Amounts needed will be posted closer to the program.
- December’s meeting will be our annual social covered dish lunch. Meal will begin at 12:00 noon with show and tell.
o There is a new sit and sew opportunity at the PC-Russell County library from 10-4 each Tuesday. Bring your own projects. There are five machines available to be used. Lunch is on your own. Vickie Gillespie leads a beginning quilting class beginning at 5 PM at the library as well.
o Winners from September’s meeting: Joan Cole, Alberta Walton, and Mary Randall.
- VERY IMPORTANT: Quilts are needed for the library. If you can bring one small quilt or medium quilt, please bring to any meeting for Linda Walker and she will take them to be hung. Maximum size can be 6 feet by 7 feet.
- President’s Challenge will be to make soft dolls or animals as well as a doll-sized quilt to be given to boys and girls from one to six years old. Quilts should be 24×24. You may use a pattern of your choice or there will be patterns available for you to use.
- Martha Brandt challenged the guild to make a block for October which is People with Disabilities Month. The 12.5 block should focus on awareness for any disability, not including vision, auditory, speech, physical, etc.
- We will have a committee to pursue having a national teacher at the guild. Joanna Pearson, Linda Jones, Linda Walker, and Audrey Bergeron are the members. Please give them any suggestions and ideas. The plan is to employ a local teacher for 2019 and look into a national teacher for 2020.
- The nominating committee has selected officers for 2019. A vote will be held at the November meeting. Nominations are: JoAnna Pearson, President; Linda Walker, Vice President for Programs; Taylor Opel, Vice President for Workshops; Pam Brandt, Secretary; Treasurer, Kathryn Shepard; Block of the Month, Vickie Gillespie; and, Members at Large, Monika Vining and Linda Jones.
- Charity Quilts: “Teal Magnolias” for women with reproductive cancers. Bring 12 ½ in blocks in teal colors. Use the May BOM star in teal and off-white background. You may bring a block of your choice in teal and off white for a sampler quilt. You can continue to make blocks using any BOM pattern and teal and off-white or cream fabric.
- Remember to park up the hill in front of the church if possible. The parking outside the Fellowship Hall needs to be reserved for those of our members with mobility issues.
- Information if you are participating in the Signature Quilt Exchange. Blocks should be 8 ½ square and should include background fabric from Kona Snow. You should sign the blocks using fabric marking pens. Information should include; your name, home city, Gala Quilt Guild, and the date/year.